Monday 4 October 2010

Musings

A friend of mine designed this picture.
I commented: "Genius"
He replied: "Anger"
It got me thinking.
When I am angry, I fret, fume and shout. I find anger destructive.
So Lawson, my friend,  I think you created this out of frustration not anger. 
Frustration - that's when you can't DO something about a situation to change it. When you want to rail against whatever it is that is unfair, unjust, downright evil. But it is a chimera; you can't get a grip on the thing to bring it down and beat it. That is what makes frustration. What CAN you do?
You can create. You create something  which can fight those smokey demons on their own ground. As abstract, yet as real.
Caricatures, cartoons, satire, slogans; these have been the weapons of choice for hundreds of years.
I am very fortunate in having some very intelligent and clever "virtual friends" on facebook, with talents that I can only dream about. Their work helps me because of the emotions they arouse in me and the satisfaction it gives me in knowing that there IS a way to get back at those demons - perhaps we can't destroy them but, hell, we don't have to let them destroy US!
Lawson's artwork always hits the spot; the itch you just can't get at to scratch.
Tony the Poet and Writer. His frustration sometimes explodes in angry words and bad language but, more often, in his poems and prose which will have me crying with laughter or sadness.
Then there are the friends who will say "your frustration is pointless" or "you are looking at it in the wrong way". I used to think "don't patronise me" then I began to respect them. After all, they have a lot more experience and knowledge then me. So I learn from Julian and Helen.
As for Richard the joker- the man is a firework. Depending on his mood, he can be  a sparkler, a rocket, a banger - sometimes a jumping-jack (so stay out of his way then),but never a damp squib.
Mr Toad's whimsy and Christopher's wise man.
I appreciate you all. Thanks.

1 comment: